Friday 17 July 2015

Sierra de Guadarrama

Número Secreto Correcto !

I keep repeating this in my mind, you know when we get something stuck in your head. In English it means 'Your Pin is correct' saw it again today as I filled my bike up with petrol and stuck it on my credit card ready for a blast around the mountain range north of Madrid.

Today's ride (Friday) should have been on Saturday, but Lindsay quite rightly suggested there would be less traffic today as the weekend day trippers from Madrid would be out. So we save the day trip into Segovia town for tomorrow. 

The route we took was featured in Ride magazine Spain edition a 170 mile loop through the mountains.


So, we set off early, skipping breakfast at the camp site, and grabbed something 20 miles in to the ride a Cafe la Leche with a slice of Spanish omelette at a cafe in some small town as we climbed up into the mountains. Loads of trucks, at first we thought we may have got it wrong, loads of lorries crawling up the snakey pass through the mountains, but thankfully they were heading for the main Auto Pista ( motorway) to Madrid and we left them as we peeled off on the main road. Now we could have some fun on the twisties up the mountain.

In the distance we could see we were approaching the Valley of the Fallen, a memorial to those who died in Spanish Civil War. A huge crucifix cross I believe is the biggest cross in the world.


As we got closer we saw signs to visit the Basilica, 9 euro entrance fee. We both stumped up and took a ride up the valley to the top. 





Difficult to give a sense of perspective on the sheer size of this cross. The Basilica was amazing too built into the peak, with an dome ceiling with freeze of Christ. No photos allowed, but I did sneak a few with my GoPro. I bumped into Lindsay he was doing the same!





A bit further on we visited a huge 16th Century Monastery, on 1800 metre high Mount Abantos.














Now we are climbing into the hills again.


Eventually could see Skyscrapers of Madrid in the distance as our most southern point took us to the suburbs of  the capital.


As we headed North, by now it was after 5pm and we still had over 40 miles left until we returned to the camp site, so found a great little restaurante, in Miraflores de la Sa off the M 626.  I had the mixed salad with Tuna, Lindsay went for the Steak, they tried to rip him off charging for Sirlojn when he had a Rump. My meal came to 8 Euros but Lindsay's was 20, fortunately he argued then down and paid 12 instead. Nice Restaurant though with an amazing display of fish dishes. 

While stood near my bike two policemen drove by and asked me if I had come all the way from the UK, I said yes and explained how amazing their country was, they agreed and said the food was too, I said I know, I'm in the restaurant over there they laughed and said safe journey... Phew at least we at not on their wanted list for speeding !


Now for the best bit of Sierra de Guadarrama, it was just an amazing ride with a big grin on our faces  as we rise to nearly 2000 meters passing a ski station. 

The road was wonderful riding up through a mixture of terrain, wide open expanses then pine forest valleys, with wild horses by the road as we threaded back down again. A definite Henry Cole experience here !


Back to campsite now after fuelling up and buying beers. Great day !!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment